Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Dolls from Aarong


Jamindar_Ginni_Dolls
Originally uploaded by Ragib Hasan.
These are the Jamindar Ginni Dolls from Aarong. My wife Jaria likes to decorate our living room with a lot of handicrafts. So, when she came to the US about 2.5 years ago, she had a whole suitcase full of Bangladeshi handicrafts. These two dolls arrived at that time :)

The workmanship is great ... note the details in the clothing. Alas, I went looking for more of these dolls during my recent visit to Bangladesh, but wasn't able to find such good quality ones. Perhaps the next time, I'd go to the main branch of Aarong.

Note: These dolls are from Aarong, the handicrafts branch of BRAC. These are made by the village artisans, mostly women, from rural Bangladesh.

4 comments:

we4tech said...

Wow, nice dolls... gonna check them out.. :p thank you bro for sharing these pictures...

Dheeman said...

I have a 1000 Taka gift card of Aarong, means I can buy anything "for free" with those cards. May be Ragib bhaiya can take me with him next time ;0

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Loginbd said...

Yah Arong's dolls are so beautiful.BD's Handicrafts are really so beautiful.If u consider Noksi khatha it's market price is so high but it's a beautiful creation of Bangladeshi women.